Vesla big block roller and a Taylor 50gt.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a hard time to get runtime on the break in, second run my header studs came loose and one fell out, and the dog bones wrapped up so much grass on them they where binding the truck. Did this a long time ago on some rc's, and after I saw the pathetic tiny cv guards I got for my 5t I decided to go back to old habits and made some shields out of a sheet of lexan. Started with cardboard to get the fit then copied it onto the lexan sheet. Right side with the gear cover needed alot of the shield to be cut for clearance, so instead I heated with the heat gun and molded it slightly

20231027_105317.jpg

20231027_114141.jpg

20231027_114159.jpg

20231027_114217.jpg

Great news and swifto news, got out for a full tank run today! But swifto... I only managed to film the part when I walked to get it! Not sure why I thought I was filming.(knees where knocking and a had to piss real bad suddenly just as i got to starting it)
My grass shields did a great job considering the amount of grass I'm running in, the side I molded to keep it tall did a better job even, so I may curve the other side for even more shielding. Not sure how long the tank lasted ( video would have kept track ) but it seemed like it took longer to warm it up than burn the tank ripping it up!

20231027_161624.jpg

20231027_161651.jpg

It's only been cut with a bush hog so not only long all the clippings are loose on the ground. Seriously thinking of getting an old lawn tractor to cut it shorter, or second option is a 12 inch x 12ft log of a tree dragged behind tractor to smooth and pull most grass out. After I get my track layout decided, a few tanks of each car I have should have the field bare by the end of next summer

Having a hard time to get runtime on the break in, second run my header studs came loose and one fell out, and the dog bones wrapped up so much grass on them they where binding the truck. Did this a long time ago on some rc's, and after I saw the pathetic tiny cv guards I got for my 5t I decided to go back to old habits and made some shields out of a sheet of lexan. Started with cardboard to get the fit then copied it onto the lexan sheet. Right side with the gear cover needed alot of the shield to be cut for clearance, so instead I heated with the heat gun and molded it slightly

View attachment 90376

View attachment 90377

View attachment 90378

View attachment 90379
Smart....💪

Been on a search for some duratrax tires for my 5t and for the vesla, seem to have been discontinued, might be some belted six packs coming back for the arrma 8s, one of my lhs listed 2 old non belted and also the belted, got there planning to get them but there was none to be found, searching threw his basement warehouse I found tires he didn't even know he had and weren't listed?
But lucky for me he had just got in a big shipment and I pulled out these badlands mx57! He had the mx43 on beadlocks, but I wanted glued and oddly enough had asked about these last time I was there but didn't order... they're a little taller than the backfips 8s I had run but lower profile, much more tread and so much less mushy.
Must have been the traction I needed to pass the limit of the tranny gears, chipped at tooth and it locked up with in a few passes. Not sure the extent of the damage yet due to an unusual amount of loctite breaking all my hex bits so far, started heating after the first bit broke, but down to my 3mm mip screwdriver, so I went and cut wood to burn off alot of extra energy. Hardened gear set and spider/axle gears in stock, going to get the full set of bearings and Taylor lists a set of hex bits that he says never seen to break, wear or even strip screws! He says he's still on his first set after trying many different brands.

20231102_170832.jpg

20231102_170842.jpg

Last edited:
Well there's the problem! My guess is the idler gear blew up first then grenaded the others, idler gear bearings also got it bad. Everything else is fine. .... what else? Differential housing, transmission housing, housing bearings, could have been worse, but at least nobody's hurt! Lol

View attachment 90458
Powder metal.

That sucks! Found another weak link.
Wouldn’t matter what failed first there isn’t room for any debris in that trans case. It will always fail 100%.

I think my gears lasted just long enough for the hardened gears to get in stock. Blackbone has made a clutch bell, pinion and spur, but no transmission gears yet.
Seems like the gearset and diff gears are from kraken, the bearing set also. Hopefully they they hold up at least long enough for blackbone to make some. Bearings I'll have to get as needed, at least with the full set I can have it ready then order better ones as I use them.
My clutchbell and spur seem a little lose allready
Did It hurt the case?
Just a small scar between the input and idler gears, and the idler gear bearing was a brute to get off on one side, but nothing that needs replacing. If the large diff gear would have disintegrated like the idler it may have been another story.
I don't know why they copied the baja style tranny but made up a new size of gears, the baja idler seems twice the size

Powder metal.

That sucks! Found another weak link.
Wouldn’t matter what failed first there isn’t room for any debris in that trans case. It will always fail 100%.
Ya, that metal is not such a good idea! See it in alot of rc cars, lots of people change it out as soon as there's another option, I have a great time testing their limits and sometimes they hold on for a long time.
This power house of an engine is said to be 4 times the power! Clutch engages at peak hp, and the worst thing was I still have a regal threw the field that I usually let off for.
Last full pass I hit on power and the wheels lifted enough for the rpm to flare up, did the full pass turned to come back, was on a wheely then it locked up.
Must have been the landing on power that killed it, just somehow didn't stop instantly. These Taylor engine are a recipe for breaking parts when landing on power!
One small piece of metal floating around will surely destroy many others, like in an engine. It's rare you know when that first little fleck of metal comes off, but you can usually follow it's path of destruction once the whole assembly fails and then you open it up for the estimate.
Parts already on their way here, i always seem to order thursay, then they leave Friday, if it wasn't for the weekend I'd get them sooner, but still a fraction of time usps takes.
Ddm does list other shipping options, but I needed hex bits that Taylor had, the trans gears where in stock, so I added some Taylor swag to. All my shirts and sweaters have rc names on them now. Even most of my pants are my old uniform from work. Must have bought onlyb2 pair of jeans in the last 30 years, but probably 30 pair of socks a year. Lol
Here's a violent tip! Heating the loctite to release was real tough and I didn't want to burn stuff with a torch ... so I used two hammers! A small one held against the screw head, then two hard wacks to that hammer with a medium size, screws where practical begging to come out after!

Oh boy that was even faster! Small boxes move faster, unless usps is carrying them. Lol
Got some work to do and I did something I thought I would never do again ... I have a date with a woman! Hope it doesn't cut into my rc time to much, but she has already seen my collection, knows I'm addicted severely, and she still likes me! I got enough cars for her to play with me, but there's other things I'm interested in again suddenly!

20231106_111124.jpg

Hi guys! Past couple days I've been on top of the world with a permanent smile stuck to my face to the point of my cheeks are sore!
Best part is I still get some time to work on my rc's, my new best friend has even asked me if she could race rc's with me .. topless to distract me! Lol she's alot of fun and it makes me still love my rc's even more. She's definitely much more stimulating, so rc's are now the 2nd most fun parts of my day! Sorry to be off topic, just she goes wild when I send her descriptive texts so my expression levels are at 💯.

Got the hardened gear set and the hardened bevel gears. They must have just been released to go with the 12s vesla that I haven't even gone to look on site at, but have heard about it in another thread.
They sure got happy with the loctite putting on the main gear to diff housing screws, they where really hard to turn all the way out, even put some wd40 and screwed them back and forth cause my screwdriver handle was digging into my hand. Got it open to find almost no diff oil, it always felt tight so I was surprised, lucky I had 500 000 left over from my vekta kit so filled it good and can't wait to try it. Got my axle shaft protector bent back to shield more like the opposite side that I molded to pass the gear cover. Ended up working till the we hours of the night to the point I couldn't focus on which screws to put where. Just about ready but it's soo cold out I may try and wait for a better day, I do crawling in the snow, and I wrote to Mike Taylor to ask what is too cold to run these big blocks ... he said as long as it's good and rich and I give it 3-4 mins warm up, brapping it from idle to clutch engage, down to -15 celcious is fine. Bbrr.
New Hex bits from Taylor are very strong and tight in the screws. They look small but looking beefy didn't stop the ddm hardened bit from snapping like twigs with a hand driver.

20231107_184228.jpg

20231107_184245.jpg

20231107_184601.jpg

20231107_204005.jpg

20231108_080138.jpg

16994501995366788195408362330547.jpg

Last edited:
Was in big rush to get out to try it, forgot to put the silly e clips on the rear table pins.
Another thing is I put 500 000cst diff oil but it seems realy loose and I blew out on foam in no time.(glued tires)
What does everybody run for diff oil with these powerhouse engines?

20231108_150656.jpg

20231108_150705.jpg

Hi guys! Past couple days I've been on top of the world with a permanent smile stuck to my face to the point of my cheeks are sore!
Best part is I still get some time to work on my rc's, my new best friend has even asked me if she could race rc's with me .. topless to distract me! Lol she's alot of fun and it makes me still love my rc's even more. She's definitely much more stimulating, so rc's are now the 2nd most fun parts of my day! Sorry to be off topic, just she goes wild when I send her descriptive texts so my expression levels are at 💯.

Got the hardened gear set and the hardened bevel gears. They must have just been released to go with the 12s vesla that I haven't even gone to look on site at, but have heard about it in another thread.
They sure got happy with the loctite putting on the main gear to diff housing screws, they where really hard to turn all the way out, even put some wd40 and screwed them back and forth cause my screwdriver handle was digging into my hand. Got it open to find almost no diff oil, it always felt tight so I was surprised, lucky I had 500 000 left over from my vekta kit so filled it good and can't wait to try it. Got my axle shaft protector bent back to shield more like the opposite side that I molded to pass the gear cover. Ended up working till the we hours of the night to the point I couldn't focus on which screws to put where. Just about ready but it's soo cold out I may try and wait for a better day, I do crawling in the snow, and I wrote to Mike Taylor to ask what is too cold to run these big blocks ... he said as long as it's good and rich and I give it 3-4 mins warm up, brapping it from idle to clutch engage, down to -15 celcious is fine. Bbrr.
New Hex bits from Taylor are very strong and tight in the screws. They look small but looking beefy didn't stop the ddm hardened bit from snapping like twigs with a hand driver.

View attachment 90529

View attachment 90530

View attachment 90531

View attachment 90532

View attachment 90533

View attachment 90534
Wera tools are top notch tools. I have lots of wera stuff
Put 2 million in rear diff. Plus some akill tires.

I'm not new to expensive tools, working otr heavy duty diesel up to a few years ago, however they come at a premium price tag. Im super hard on bits here at the park as just about everything is Allen, torx or some other stupid proprietary fastener. I have a few different compact bit/driver sets from wera in my call bag, and the bits don't last much longer then some cheaper bits I've used before. Just the nature of the beast. Easier to get something with an easy to exchange life time warranty in my case. Now their speed drivers and ratchets are top notch, don't know how I got by before without them. Some of their electrical rated stuff is tops too. Love my little micro kit too. Has just enough to do what I can't with a leatherman. Anything more then the kit can handle mean shutting something down and running for real tools. Which sucks.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks