30.5cc Won't Start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WindDrake

Well, here goes. Hell of a first post!

I've tried the searches, and I've been banging on this motor since recieving the vehicle yesterday.

I've got a Baja 5B with a 30.5cc CY in it. It ran for two thermal cycles yesterday, as well as about 10 minutes of sub 30% throttle, as I was breaking the motor in. It died during that 10 minute run, with the plug boot loose on the spark plug.

I told myself, alright, just a loose plug boot. Reseated it, tried to restart it. Nothing. Then the pullstarter pawl cracked. So, here we go with a new pullstarter.

I also pulled the plug, and it was black. Great, running too rich.

So, I reset the needles to factory on the carb (1 1/4 Low, 1 1/2 High), got a new plug, gapped it to 0.025, and tried again.

Nothing.

It gets spark, I smell fuel, the plug has fuel on it when I pull it out.

Going off something I read on Hpibajaforums, I tried closing up the LSN completely, and trying to start it.

It will pop and make sounds like it wants to start, but it won't actually run.

Any idea guys? I've torn up my hands and made a mess of the living room with this beastie. I didn't think it'd be this hard. :lol:

Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Am not very experinced with cy engines and there r members in this forum that will be more helpful.

I had very simillar problems when i replaced my top-end with 30.5 cc obr couple of years ago.

My engine had also died when running it in. I did most of the things that u did but still no luck. So then i gave up nd took it to my local hobby shop and they discovered that i had an air leak in the carb.

So if was u, i will check that the carb, gasgates
and fuel lines are all good.

Hope that can help and good luck!

Just went through the carb and all gaskets, A-OK.

But I got it running.

Apparently, in my infinite wisdom, I didn't bother checking the Coil Gap.

Well, that weird hitch I felt when I pulled the pullstart? Yeah. Coil rubbing the flywheel.

I'm an idiot. But now my Baja runs!

Just posting this so this helps some other tard like me someday. :D

Well, I've got it running, but I've noticed something weird about the carb.

Conventional wisdom says tighten the needles till you feel resistance. That's closed.

Well, my Baja won't run until the LSN is only ~0.60 turns out from closed. Otherwise it floods.

I found this by choking the motor off completely at the LSN, starting it, then backing the LSN out until it bogged and died. Leaned it out 1/16, then restarted it. Bam, fired on first pull.

Is this just a wonky carb?

Other posts with a similar problem end up locating a leak.
I suppose its remotely possible that there's a bit of grit in the adjustment screw making you think it's closed, when it isn't - it's still slightly open, thus you don't have to open it 1 1/4, etc ...
I'd give it a good check over, checking for leaks - SEARCH for other posts on this subject.

Al.

Well, here goes. Hell of a first post!

I've tried the searches, and I've been banging on this motor since recieving the vehicle yesterday.

I've got a Baja 5B with a 30.5cc CY in it. It ran for two thermal cycles yesterday, as well as about 10 minutes of sub 30% throttle, as I was breaking the motor in. It died during that 10 minute run, with the plug boot loose on the spark plug.

I told myself, alright, just a loose plug boot. Reseated it, tried to restart it. Nothing. Then the pullstarter pawl cracked. So, here we go with a new pullstarter.

I also pulled the plug, and it was black. Great, running too rich.

So, I reset the needles to factory on the carb (1 1/4 Low, 1 1/2 High), got a new plug, gapped it to 0.025, and tried again.

Nothing.

It gets spark, I smell fuel, the plug has fuel on it when I pull it out.

Going off something I read on Hpibajaforums, I tried closing up the LSN completely, and trying to start it.

It will pop and make sounds like it wants to start, but it won't actually run.

Any idea guys? I've torn up my hands and made a mess of the living room with this beastie. I didn't think it'd be this hard. :lol:

Thanks in advance.

What carb are you running? Did you install the top end kit or did you purchase a complete motor from OBR?

Just went through the carb and all gaskets, A-OK.

But I got it running.

Apparently, in my infinite wisdom, I didn't bother checking the Coil Gap.

Well, that weird hitch I felt when I pulled the pullstart? Yeah. Coil rubbing the flywheel.

I'm an idiot. But now my Baja runs!

Just posting this so this helps some other tard like me someday. :D
Before you fixed it, did it want to start mid pull and it yanks the pull start handle out of your hand?
Before you fixed it, did it want to start mid pull and it yanks the pull start handle out of your hand?

Back